Friday, May 17, 2013

Ugh. High School. Post #4

New?
Introduction
Ugh. High School. Post #1
Ugh. High School. Post #2
Ugh. High School. Post #3

As I'm swimming (or should I use the word sinking?) deeper and farther into the waters of high school, I've come to a few realizations.

And once again I'm going to revert to the art of making my post into a list as, it makes me look like I know what I'm doing.

1. Give a Little
As much as teachers and parents and friends and our friends' parents and administrators and people in general shove down our throats the message of going to college, you'd think we'd get it. We need to make good grades. We need to apply ourselves. We need to think about the future. It's not necessarily about going to college either, it's truly about whether we're setting ourselves up for what's to come. Most high schoolers honestly don't give a shit (sorry for the wording, but it fits). We want to get by and still be cool and keep our boyfriends and go to the football game and shop and do what we want to do. Our priorities are screwed up. We don't understand that we need to pull our own weight or do more than just barely. All we have to do is give a little. I'm no perfect student, but I got that realization early on. I gave a lot and when I saw people flip over their papers only to receive a bad grade on the other side, I knew that if they just a gave a little more they would do better because I had seen them do better. Honestly, nothings more irritating than smart kids giving up.

2. Everybody Hurts
Why do we as girls, bring down other girls, when we know how hard life can be....for a girl? And not just girls, boys too. I've cracked a joke about somebody, said something I shouldn't have, I've hurt people. We all have. We've also all been hurt. I've been made fun of, laughed at, even cried because of what I was going through. Not only have I hurt people, but I've been hurt. That's where it gets funny. Why do we hurt others, when we know just how it feels? I've even caught myself. As soon as the words tumbled out of my mouth I've been flashed to a time when I was in the other person's position. My guilt then consumes me and I apologize but in reality, those words should've never left my brain. At times you have to be conscious of other people's feelings as hard as that seems.

3. Learn to Play the Game
This one almost contradicts #1. Sometimes you just need to learn how to play the game and play it well. At times this could mean taking the shorter route or the road more often traveled, but you have to find the happy medium between #1 and #3. I can't tell you what that medium is for you. It depends on what your goals are and what you're capable of doing, so only you can find it. But sometimes you don't always have to give 110% in P.E. class if you know what I mean.

4. Get as Much Education as You Can
College is freaking expensive. It's like you get free education for thirteen dagum years and then it's like BAM. We're now going to charge you $25,000+ a year for education. So take advantage of your last four or three or two or how many ever years of free education you have left. Take AP classes which could mean getting a semester or even a year worth of college credits out of the way for free. Free is such a beautiful thing. I love free apps. Free food. Freedom. And while we're at it, free education. So take as much advantage as possible during your years of high school in order to get all you can from this education system.

Have a fabulous Friday.


No comments:

Post a Comment