Saturday, September 7, 2013

What I've Been Up To

I've been writing.

Not blog post writing, but story writing. And you have no idea how good it feels.

I've had a dream to become a published author since my second grade teacher told me I had a gift for writing. Oh, how I loved her. She was so sweet and kind and I absolutely adored her.

But those years have passed and the internet has thoroughly discouraged my writing career. I'm a chronic Googler and my condition was sure to arise as I thought about what a life as an author would be. It's a hard business to get into, kind of like the acting world. It takes knowing the right person and a little bit of luck and a lot of hard work. And it's not that I completely gave up on my dream, but I've re-steered my path on a different direction and the best part about writing is that until you actually (if you ever do) get published, it's something that you can do on the side.

And a few years later, I fell in love with a different career and I thought that maybe I really wasn't supposed to be a writer.

But just a few weeks ago I got the writing bug. My brain clicked while riding in the car. The rain, the roads, the cars, everything spilled into my mind, sentences formed, paragraphs linked together. I had been bit. I wrote through the two hour car ride on my notes app on my iPhone.

Along with all this writing and day dreaming and even more Googling, I've reconsidered adding writer into what I could possibly some day become. It doesn't exactly change my career plans as I've heard of so many people who were nurses or teachers or managers or stay at home moms who took up writing and then two years later they found themselves as a published author. And at one point you would most likely have to choose one career, but if you can, why not have your cake and eat it too?

So maybe some day I'll be published. Or maybe some day I'll just have multiple word documents sitting on my hard drive. Either way I'll just be happy to be writing.

And aside from the constant itch to sit at a computer and write, all I can say is holy Jesus where did all this homework come from. That's all I ever do anymore. Come home and write papers. Go to soccer for an hour and a half. Study for three different tests. Take my shower. Do thirty million different worksheets. Go to bed realizing all I ate for supper was a rice cake with peanut butter and a side of orange juice.

HOMEWORK HOMEWORK HOMEWORK

Really if I put in as much energy into my writing and this blog as I did with homework this past week I could've typed a blog post everyday and gotten halfway through writing a novel.

I always go to bed realizing there's just not enough hours in the day and contemplating how much more I could do if I just quit sleeping. Seriously. I usually get about six hours of sleep every night and do you know how much more writing and studying and laundry I could get done if I didn't just sleep through all those hours?

Like honestly, is sleep really that important?

Anyways, I'm short on time and praise the Lord the pizza delivery man is knocking on the door with my lunch so this is as good as the closing is going to get.

Have a fabulous day.

No comments:

Post a Comment