Sunday, March 2, 2014

Periods and Poverty {Don't Ask, Just Read}

I keep unknowingly putting off reading blog posts until it's an unusually empty Saturday morning where I try to read a week and a half of blog posts in one sitting (which fyi isn't exactly possible when you follow numerous blogs). But here I am (or was since I wrote this on Saturday), still behind on reading posts, but I'm down to two day old posts which is quite the accomplishment.

I also keep swearing to myself that I'll write something really fascinating on here, but I'm still waiting for that to happen. I keep making a list of books to read on my phone as well, yet that hasn't happened either. I'm dreaming of writing more in the book that may never get finished, but I'm hoping spring break will provide such a time. But I am listening to music and getting lost in the abyss of the Internet which is always fun.


I'm a little too intrigued in conspiracy theories at the moment after an AP government class turned into copious amounts of "whose really behind 9/11" and "did we really land on the moon first". I'm interested in finding a book written on such theories so if anyone has any suggestions, throw 'em at me (I'll be sure to put them on my list of books to read).

I'm also taking a new interest in politics and the Beatles. An unlikely combination in the least. 


On an interesting side note, after getting sucked into one blog post followed by link after link after link I learned a few intriguing things about African girls and as one woman to the next, I couldn't possibly ignore not sharing what I stumbled upon. 

It's common knowledge that children in Africa don't receive the education that they rightfully need and just as well known that girls face an even more disadvantage because of the inadequacy of resources and lack of value that's placed upon them as females among other things. But surprise surprise there is one simple item that is putting the barrier between African girls and education that one might not know: pads. Sanitary napkins, feminine products, however we want to say it (we're all girls women here).

Did you know that only 40% of girls enrolled in primary one finish primary seven opposed to 70% of boys who do? How about the fact that 155 girls in every village drop out of school because they can't afford nor are properly educated on the use of sanitary napkins. Girls simply skip school for four to seven days at a time to take care of this common woman ailment. Four to seven days every month adds up to multiple missed tests and assignments and weeks of valuable education. Most girls drop out because they simply can't keep up. 

All this over pads. Who even knew.


And I'm not going to ask you to donate to some organization because let's face it, we're all young and don't have paypal accounts and money upon money to give away. This is all just knowledge. Food for thought. Something to let your mind wrap around.

A cause to let your feminist self vegetate on.


It's been a fun weekend and I can only hope you can say the same. Do some laundry and read a book and watch the Oscars before you go back to no sleep and a work load that you didn't even think was possible.

Have a fabulous day.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, that really was an interesting cause to why girls have comparatively low literacy rates in third world countries. I never thought about it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the same thing. It's such a simple and fairly easy fix as opposed to the other things that keep girls from attending school.

      Delete
  2. I gotta agree with Kanra. I always wondered why do they have such a low female literacy rate in Africa. I know about Pakistan and the issues women face here, but we are improving. Also, you're quite a feminist I can see, but I'm the entire opposite. Anyway, it's not about our own thinking here, it's about understanding. I, being a guy, can understand their situation and hope for betterment. Thanks, this was very informative. You are on my read list now.
    Hope to argue about feminism soon :D and hey, what's the opposite of a feminist? :D
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting as I've never actually met someone who openly proclaims being the opposite of a feminist. I have to say I am genuinely looking forward to what you have to say. I love hearing from people who have differing views of opinions, because I do admit in some areas I'm not nearly as open minded as I should be about things.

      Looking forward to what you have to say! :D (Also, I don't know, what is the opposite of a feminist? A man? Haha!)

      Delete