Monday, January 19, 2015

Summer List Review {Bossypants + Antiviral}

This is the Eighth installment of me reviewing a list of books and movies I set out to read, watch, and enjoy throughout the summer (even though this is going up in the winter). You can check out my other posts in the following links. 
Sixth Installment
Seventh Installment

I know I had said I was going to be reviewing The Jury, but I got my hands on the book Bossypants by Tina Fey, and my life changed. Let's just say I have bumped The Jury for another time.

First, I feel a little back story is needed before I begin. Tina Fey is a comedian. She played a damn good Sarah Palin on a string of Saturday Night Live sketches (among other great things). I initially read her book as a sort of preface to my Junior Research Presentation. I had already written my paper (on the inequality of women in the workplace mind you), and all that was left was my presentation. I was looking for something funny and relatable to say in front of my classmates who I presumed (and rightly so) wouldn't give two shits about the inequality that women faced (sad albeit true).


A friend of mine recommended that I check out her book and use a quote or two from it. The book (among other things) talks about Tina's struggles and triumphs to break through a male dominated industry, and I can say I cannot recommend this book enough. It was extremely funny, and the amount of times I literally laughed out loud can not be counted. Fey was relatable and lovable.

It's a quick read (took me a little less than a day and a half and I consider myself a slow-ish reader). Overall, it was beautiful.

Also, for your Tina Fey/Amy Poehler enjoyment: http://www.hulu.com/watch/34465
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I considered Antiviral to be a pretty good movie. It was metaphorical in a way (although the metaphor was very obvious). Essentially it's set in a futuristic world; everyone is celebrity obsessed. When I say obsessed, the movie shows a whole new realm of obsession. People begin to pay to have themselves injected with viruses that their celebrity idols either have or once had. They even pay for meat that is cultivated by the cells of the rich and famous. Cannibalistic? Yes. Unbelievable? Not necessarily.


The movie was very minimalistic (a lot of greys and whites throughout the movie). I always find this type of portrayal of the future very ironic; in a society that is so materialistic, what makes everyone think that our future generations will be dull and minimal?

Anyways. At times I thought the movie was kind of lagging/boring, but I usually feel this way about a lot of movies. I have a hard time sitting still and paying attention around the hour mark of most everything. Also there are a lot of close ups of needles piercing the skin and the like, so the movie is not really for the squirmish.

Overall, thoughtful movie. Makes you think about the track of society.

Have a fabulous day.

2 comments: