Sunday, August 30, 2015

Six Reasons Why College Rocks (In Comparison to High School)

I have completed my first sort of week at college. Classes started Tuesday not Monday so it hasn't been a full week, and also I'm not technically a "college" student (as I'm dual enrolled at both my high school and college), but nevertheless it was almost a full week and I'm sort of a college student. Therefore I bring you a blog post (in list form!) about college and how it's not like high school. At all.

source
1. You Can Eat
In high school it was completely forbidden to eat in class, and if you were caught, God help us all. Eating in class was grounds for being written up and sent to the office if your teacher was feeling particularly mean although most of the time it ended with a warning and embarrassment as you got yelled at to put your food away. Now why on Earth can you not eat in class? Because ants I tell  you, and apparently at 17 we are messy eaters that attract bugs and ants and other things we do not enjoy to learn around. But somehow in college you can eat in the middle of class because maybe ants stay away from institutions of higher learning? I'm not sure. All I do know is that I ate animal crackers in the middle of my sociology class Friday and no one batted an eye.

2. You Don't Have to Ask for Things
Do you need to pee? Or maybe you want some water? Or how about stepping out of class to make a phone call? Well, go for it because this is college. In high school, you have to ask to use the restroom and depending on where you are in the middle of class and who your teacher is they may or may not let you go and it may or may not require a bathroom pass and you may or may not get a scolding about how you need to fix your pee schedule around the school's bell system. But alas, this is college and you can literally get up and WALK OUT OF THE CLASS WITHOUT A SINGLE WORD and no one cares. The professor doesn't even blink. This is insane I tell you, INSANE.

3. Somehow Everyone Can Learn Without a Dress Code
This past week I have worn athletic shorts, leggings, and/or a tank top (without a sweater!) and somehow the guys in my class managed to learn despite the distraction of my legs and shoulders. Life is crazy man.

4. The Magical Syllabus
In high school I had a few teachers who managed to give out a class syllabus at the beginning of the semester but they RARELY stuck to it. Come to think of it, I never had a teacher who stuck to it. But in college you get a syllabus with all of your tests already planned out and handed to you. There are no more teachers who give you a test with only two days to prepare when you already have a test in another class on the same day and generally a paper due in another. Sure you may have multiple tests or papers due in on the same day in college, but you would have already known about that at the beginning of the semester. College makes it so much easier to be organized because (generally) the professors have their lessons mapped out more efficiently. 

5. Less Time in Class
In high school I had four classes an hour and a half a day, yet in college all my classes are usually 50 minutes a day and we only meet three times a week. One of my classes meets a little longer because it's the lab for one of my science classes, but even then the lab only happens once a week. Although one of my friends has a class that meets an hour and a half, they only meet twice a week. Regardless, you're going to be spending a lot less time in class. 

6. No One Checks Your Homework
This might quite possibly be my favorite thing about college. No professor is there to hold your hand and make sure you answered every question on the outline in accuracy. I like this not because I'm a slacker who doesn't do my homework, but I like that the teachers no longer baby you by making sure you always do your homework completely and properly. Professors know that if kids don't do their homework they'll pay for it come time for the exam.

And I do believe this concludes my list of why high school sucks and why college is worth the thousands of dollars in debt.

Have a fabulous day.

10 comments:

  1. You can eat in college classes? THAT IS THE GREATEST THING EVER.

    xoxo Morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, this makes me feel a little better hahah :)
    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there is so much to look forward to in college!!

      Delete
  3. I remember the first time I went to my current college to see if I liked the course I was going to choose, so I was going to classes with the freshmen all day, and right in the middle of class one of them started eating. My jaw just dropped. Then all the others took out their lunch and snacks and bars of chocolate. I didn't know what was happening, I was in shock and looking at the professor, wondering if she was going to say anything. Of course she wasn't, she just continued teaching. After a while one of the girls noticed I wasn't eating anything and asked me if I'd forgotten to bring lunch! Next thing I know they were all giving me food and talking about the great things they could buy for me in the restaurant down stairs XD
    The only thing that isn't that awesome in my college is that my homework does get checked. Caused a major riot between students and teachers last year and as of this year it wn't be checked anymore (that's what they say, but I don't trust thos people :P)

    x Envy
    Picking up the Pieces

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so funny (about the food not about your homework getting checked)!! I will say my math teacher said he will be periodically checking homework, but that's mostly because the most proven method of teaching math is through practice aka homework. Nevertheless that's still less checked homework than before haha. Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  4. I found this post hilarious and I loved reading about all the things I can look forward to when I go to college next year! (I know it won't be quite the same as America in the UK, but I'm certainly looking forward to peeing without permission). It's interesting that you are going to college and high school at the same time- I really have no idea how things work over there :) Great post! (Especially the last line) XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found my post funny! I must admit our education system can be quite complicated (and that's coming from someone who has spent her whole life in said system). Thanks for coming by! :)

      Delete
  5. This made my day! :) You have a delightful sense of humor, dear. xx
    ~ Sanjana
    peridotcove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete