Sunday, January 10, 2016

2016: More

It's been some time since I've written to you all, but it's never too late to start catching up I suppose. I have no real reason for my absence, especially since during a good chunk of it I was out of school, but as per usual, life got in the way.

With 10 days down in 2016, I have had adequate time to reflect on what I want to make of my year. I have already decided I will be reading more (I'm shooting for finishing one non-school related book a week), watching more documentaries, and learning more songs on the ukulele I got this past June.

If I had to assign a word for the year, I am nearly positive it would be, simply put, more. All of the things I mentioned above I already do; I already try to read books, watch documentaries, and spend a lot of time with my ukulele, but I could do so much more with these interests. Therefore, I will do more of what I love.

(On a side note, I need book and documentary suggestions. I am a huge fan of autobiographies/biographies at the moment. Most are about women (I've read the autobiographies of Amy Poehler, Tina Fey, and Malala to name a few, and I am currently working through a biography compilation of First Ladies), but I need more. Who's your favorite inspirational woman? Because odds are she or someone else has written a book about her, and I'd love to read it.)

Here's to the year of more. More of the things I love, less of the things I hate.

I will also be eating more waffles.


Have a fabulous day.

4 comments:

  1. If you haven't already heard of it, Wild Swans by Jung Chang is one of my favourite biographies. It's about three women, the author's grandmother (who grew up in the last days of Imperial China - I found that really interesting because people so rarely write accounts of women in those kind of societies), her mother (who was very active in the Communist revolution) and lastly her own story of growing up during the political turmoil. It's very artful but also honest in its discussion of families and Chinese society/politics as a whole.

    Now that I'm done fangirling about Jung Chang, I would also recommend Persepolis by Marjane Satrapi (a graphic novel about a girl during the Iranian Islamic revolution), or Hanna's Daughters by Marianne Fredriksson (not actually a biography, but it reads like one. It's also about three generations of women, but in Sweden).

    Let me know if you do read one of these, I love discussing books with people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All of these sound great!! Thank you so very much, and I will certainly be getting back to you once I have finished them! :)

      Delete
  2. I haven't read many biographies in my life, but I'd like to read the one of Malala. I think the only bioghraphy about a woman I've ever read was the one of JK Rowling. It was oretty awesome.
    Yay for more waffles!

    x Envy
    Lost in Translation

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I honestly never got into reading biographies until about nine months ago. Previously, I loathed/hated/despised any sort of nonfiction, but within this past year it is honestly all I've been reading. I rarely pick up any fiction books nowadays which is something I thought I would never say (as a kid I inhaled fiction books like there was no tomorrow).

      If you're ever looking to get into reading more nonfiction, there is no better place to start than finding someone you admire and reading their autobiography or a biography about them. (Malala's book is a great book to start with!) :)

      Delete